By NBF News

Fly-half Dan Carter scored 27 points for New Zealand against Wales in Dunedin

Dan Carter gave Carisbrook a fitting send-off as he masterminded a heavy New Zealand win over Wales in Dunedin.

The fly-half scored two fine tries and kicked another 17 points as the All Blacks punished Welsh mistakes.

A Stephen Jones drop-goal and penalty, plus Leigh Halfpenny's long-range kick kept Wales in touch 15-9 at half-time.

Keven Mealamu and Cory Jane scored opportunistic first-half tries, with Carter and replacement Richard Kahui running in further All Blacks scores.

The venerable old Carisbrook ground has seen more than a century of rugby, but will be replaced as the city's main sporting venue by the new Forsyth Barr Stadium as New Zealand prepares itself for hosting the 2011 World Cup.

So the All Blacks were keen to mark the Dunedin icon's passing in style, defend their unbeaten home record against their visitors, and stretch Wales' 57-year losing streak against the silver ferns.

Their 'warm-up' against Ireland last week – a 66-28 win against a side reduced to 14 men for most of the match after Jamie Heaslip's red card – gave notice to Wales that New Zealand were in the mood to score heavily.

Fly-half Stephen Jones connects with an early drop-goal for Wales

Wales gave the All Blacks an early scare when Mike Phillips charged down a Carter kick, but full-back Israel Dagg was well positioned to outpace the Wales scrum-half as the ball bounced under the posts.

That encouraging start for the visitors was underlined when fly-half Jones kicked a long drop-goal to reward their territorial gains.

Wales tested the Kiwi defence as Jamie Roberts made inroads into the home 22, allowing Phillips to switch the point of attack from the ruck.

New Zealand were momentarily stretched and there was space on their right, but lock Alun Wyn Jones – lurking in the backline – went back into contact with two men free outside him.

Carter was wide with New Zealand's first chance of points, failing to curl in a long-range penalty close to the right touchline.

In contrast Wales wing Leigh Halfpenny, the tourists' long-range kicking option, banged over a fine effort from just inside his own half to give Wales a 6-0 lead.

New Zealand had barely been in Wales' half in the first quarter-hour but a clever kick from Jimmy Cowan turned Tom Prydie.

The young wing, Wales' youngest Test cap and try scorer, had no option but to thump the ball into touch close to his own line with Jane and Conrad Smith hot on his heels.

New Zealand's initial catch and drive was repulsed, but the pack stayed patient and rolled infield to draw a penalty as Wales tried to make a mess of their maul.

Cowan took the instant decision to tap the penalty in front of the posts and send Mealamu over, video replays deciding the hooker just broke the line.

Carter added the conversion and then his first penalty to put New Zealand into the lead, before the home side pounced on an opportunist try.

Wales were assaulting the All Blacks 22 but lost control at a ruck, allowing the ball to squirt out the side.

Smith was on it in a flash and popped it sideways to Jane, who was able to race unopposed down his right wing with no blindside defence in place.

Prydie and Wales captain Ryan Jones came across at full pelt but Jane stepped inside both players before holding off Lee Byrne to touch down for an unconverted try.

Referee George Clancey had diligently policed the breakdown, where Wales' breakaway trio were doing well to hold their own against the Kiwi back-row.

And the Irishman spotted another All Blacks hand where it should not have been as half-time neared, allowing Stephen Jones to kick Wales to within six points.

But the fly-half, winning his 90th cap, was just wide with a more difficult penalty kick two minutes later, while another snap drop-goal in the closing moments failed to match his earlier effort.

A blockbusting run from Byrne early in the second half showed Wales' continuing intent to take the match to the All Blacks, but another error again put the red shirts under huge pressure.

Stephen Jones tried a third drop-goal but New Zealand number eight Kieran Read was on the fly-half in a flash, getting both hands to the ball to send it spinning backwards.

Richie McCaw gathered and raced upfield, although a scrambling Wales defence did well to get back in numbers.

The danger was not over, however, and only a slightly misplaced pass from Victor Vito – the blind-side flanker making his first New Zealand start – prevented Jane from grabbing a second try.

Hooker Keven Mealamu stretches to score New Zealand's opening try

Carter stretched New Zealand's lead to 18-9 when Wales went off their feet at a ruck, before the fly-half cut loose to claim his side's third try.

The Crusaders star exchanged passes in midfield with Jane to create a half-gap that he jinked through, cutting right to beat Andrew Bishop to the line and Carter then converted his own try.

New Zealand coach Graham Henry had bolstered his front row at half-time by sending on Tony Woodcock for Ben Franks at loose-head, and the Wales scrum started to creak noticeably from then on.

In the loose Wales were still doing heroically, Gavin Thomas impressing on his first Test outing since 2007 and giving able support to Jonathan Thomas and skipper Jones.

A New Zealand ruck on the Wales line was turned over and the ball kicked upfield.

Halfpenny hacked on and the Cardiff Blues flyer and fellow wing Prydie bore down on the New Zealand 22, only for replacement Kahui to show excellent pace to outstrip the Welsh pair.

Any faint hopes of a fight-back were soon extinguished by Carter, who kicked a third penalty and then scored a sublime second try.

New Zealand spun the ball wide and Carter went 50 metres, past Prydie, Bishop and Byrne, to score a brilliant solo try he then converted himself.

As Wales tired Kahui again showed his pace to break through for a fifth New Zealand try, underlining a second-half dominance that swept Wales aside.

With the second Test to come in Hamilton next week, Wales coach Warren Gatland must help his players absorb another harsh lesson at the hands of a Tri-Nations side – that mistakes are punished ruthlessly and clinically. New Zealand: Israel Dagg (Highlanders); Cory Jane (Hurricanes), Conrad Smith (Hurricanes), Benson Stanley (Blues), Joe Rokocoko (Blues); Daniel Carter (Crusaders), Jimmy Cowan (Highlanders); Ben Franks (Crusaders), Keven Mealamu (Blues), Owen Franks (Crusaders), Brad Thorn (Crusaders), Anthony Boric (Blues), Victor Vito (Hurricanes), Richie McCaw (Crusaders, capt), Kieran Read (Crusaders).

Replacements: Aled de Malmanche (Chiefs), Tony Woodcock (Blues), Sam Whitelock (Crusaders), Adam Thomson (Highlanders), Piri Weepu (Hurricanes), Aaron Cruden (Hurricanes), Richard Kahui (Chiefs).

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Andrew Bishop (Ospreys), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Tom Prydie (Ospreys); Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Paul James (Ospreys), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Gavin Thomas (Newport Gwent Dragons), Ryan Jones (capt).

Replacements: Huw Bennett (Ospreys), John Yapp (Blues), Deiniol Jones (Blues), Rob McCusker (Scarlets), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets).

Referee: George Clancey (Ire).