Delta Government Expresses Commitment To Fight Against Gender-based Violence

By kenneth Orusi, The Nigerian Voice, Asaba

Delta State Government is committed to the fight against gender based violence as it is a major factor affecting development in the country, the Alternate Chairperson of the State Gender Violence-based Referral Team, Barr Bridget Anyafulu, has said.

Anyafulu, who led members of the team on a courtesy visit to the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) Asaba on Tuesday, noted that gender based violence is not just an issue of definition.

She said the menace also includes wife battering and abuse of the child or wards, insisting that the “Delta State Government says no to all forms of gender violence.

“The issue of gender based violence is something the present administration has frowned at because it has been identified as a major factor affecting development in the country.

“For us as a nation and a state to move forward in terms of development, every citizen should work hard to put an end to gender based violence,” she said.

She explained that the Gender Violence-Based Referral Team, which is affiliated to the Office of the Vice President of Nigeria, was inaugurated on March 2018 and is Chaired by the Delta State Attorney General, Bar Peter Mrakpor.

Anyafulu noted that about 70 percent issues of gender based violence are carried out by men, while the remaining 30 percent are carried out by women, “because of the way we treat the wards, who live with us”.

“These are some of the issues that brought us here, and as partners, we want to also let the media know that it is not just the job of the team alone, but that of every one.

“If the state and the nation have to move progressively, the media, security agencies among others have roles to play in fighting gender based violence,” she said.

According to her, “This visit is also to ensure on how we can rob minds and proffer solution to the issues of gender based violence".

Anyafulu therefore called for partnership with the NTA and other media organisations in fighting gender based violence and all other forms of violence in the society.

Responding, the General Manager, NTA Asaba, Mr. Richard Yaboh, welcomed the team and assured them that the organization has always been in the forefront of promoting issues like this.

He noted that the media have vital roles to play in advocating against gender based violence in the country in order to achieve better results.

“We in NTA will never shy away from our responsibilities even though we know that things are not the same way it used to be before.

“Now the structure of NTA as its stands now shows that NTA is fully commercialized, but not minding, this we will not shy away from our social responsibilities.

“Taking these advocacies to schools or everywhere still would not be enough except we make it so strong, using the media as the basis and the foundation for promoting this advocacies.

“Our societies are like this today because we as parents and caregivers have failed in our responsibilities, even the government, we are not performing our roles and our duties as we ought to do,” he said.

According to him, to rectify some of these issues, a television series programme is needed since it cannot be achieved only through advocacies.

He noted that the stories of rape cases, child abuse among others are increasing on daily basis and “this is getting out of control”.

He suggested a talk show programme that will infuse some dramatic elements into it.

“We are ready to partner with the state government in creating programmes through television series where we can explore some of these issues; causes and how we can proffer solutions to them.

“But we cannot do this alone, we would need support from the state government,” he added.