Fire: No document burnt in Ebonyi govt House, Accts Dept – Official
The Ebonyi State Government on Saturday denied media reports that its Accounts Department was gutted by fire.
It added, in a statement by Emma Anya, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor David Umahi, that no shred of paper or document was torched by the 'minor fire that was caused by electric surge.'
'The reports that the Account Department of the Government House was gutted by fire are pure falsehood. There was electric surge in the office of the Chief of Staff that resulted in the partial burning of a chair and some curtains there,' the statement read in part.
It went on to add that 'No shred of paper nor document was burnt in the office of the Chief of Staff. The minor fire outbreak did not spread to the Accounts Department and therefore no document was torched there.'
The statement explained that 'a cleaner had after cleaning the office of the COS turned on the Air conditioner and left to join her colleagues in the routine Government House joint morning devotion. But when the workers in the office of the COS returned, they found out that electric surge from the Air conditioner had burnt some curtains and a chair.
'The fire was however quickly contained by the workers who deployed water mixed with detergents. This was before the arrival of fire fighters. '