Brazilian Goalkeeper Convicted Of Murder Returns To Football
BEVERLY HILLS, March 14, (THEWILL) – After serving seven years in prison for killing his ex-girlfriend and feeding her to dogs, Brazilian goalkeeper, Bruno Fernandes de Souza, is controversially back in the game, signed by Boa Esporte for two years.
Fans and sponsors of the Brazilian second-division side quickly denounced the move but so far Boa Esporte is not backing down.
In a lengthy post on its Facebook page, Boa Esporte's president, Rone Moraes da Costa, says the team isn't committing any crimes by signing the 32-year-old who formerly played for one of Brazil's most famous clubs Flamengo and was tipped to line up for the national team at the 2014 World Cup on home soil.
“Esporte Clube was not responsible for the release and freedom of Bruno,” da Costa said, adding that the club was “giving work to those who intend to recover.”
Bruno “deserves a new opportunity as a professional,” the team said in a separate post. “The club has no relation with Bruno's personal actions, nor with his past, having hired only the professional.”
In 2010, he was arrested and three years later found guilty of homicide, kidnapping and hiding the body of his ex-girlfriend Eliza Samudio. He was sentenced to 22 years in jail.
Bruno, his lover and his ex-wife were among nine people charged with torturing and murdering Samudio, who had been trying to prove he had fathered her son.
The player's ex-wife, who was also on trial, was acquitted of kidnapping the child.
Samudio's body was never found, but the goalkeeper's cousin told the court Samudio had been demanding child support payments and that he had helped to dismember her body and fed her to several dogs.
In a shocking turn of events, Bruno was released last month on a technicality while his lawyers prepare an appeal.