Twenty-Eighth Ordinary Session of the Summit of the African Union expected to elect a new Chairperson for the AU Commission
The African Union summit holds January every year at the African Union headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. From the 22nd to the 31st of January 2017 January 2017, the Union will hold its 28th Ordinary session under the theme ‘harnessing the demographic dividend through investments in the youth’.
The summit which will feature three main sections:
- 22nd- 24th of January 2017: The thirty third (33rd) ordinary session of the Permanent Representatives Committee (PRC)
- 25th- 27th of January 2017: The thirtieth (30th) ordinary session of the Executive Council
- 30th-31st of January 2017: The twenty- eighth (28th) ordinary session of the Assembly of the Union
Some of the highlights of the summit include
- A presentation by H.E. Mr. Paul Kagame, President of the Republic of Rwanda on the report of the reform of the African Union.
- Submission of the report on the Continental Free Trade Area (CFTA)
- Consideration of the request by Morocco to become a member states of the African Union
- Election for the post of Chairperson of the Commission with five candidates competing, namely Hon. Pelonomi Venson Moitoi (Botswana), Hon. Moussa Faki Mahamat (Chad), Hon. Agapito Mba Mokuy (Equatorial Guinea), Hon. Dr. Amina C. Mohammed (Kenya), Dr. Abdoulaye Bathily (Senegal)
- Election for the post of Deputy Chairperson of the Commission
- Appointments of the eight commissioners of the African Union Commission
- Appointment of two judges of the African Court on Human and Peoples Rights (AfCHPR)
- Appointment of eleven members of the African Union Advisory board on the Fight Against Corruption (AUABC)
- Appointment of one member of the African Union Commission on International Law (AUCIL)
- Consideration of reports and draft decisions of the committees of the Assembly of the Union
- Adoption of decisions and declarations of the policy organs
- Consideration of the annual report of the Chairperson on the activities of the Commission covering the period January to December 2016.
Accreditation guidelines and other relevant information for media are available in the media advisory note on http://www.au.int/en/summit/28 .