How to Make Coconut Oil in Your Home
Here is a way to make coconut oil at home.
1. Break the coconuts with a heavy blunt object.
2. When done, pry out the coconut meat from the coconut shell with a knife. Once the coconut is mature, the coconut meat should come out of the shell easily.
3. Rinse the pieces of coconut thoroughly and cut them into small pieces to help your blender.
4. Next, boil some water and mix with cool water to a comfortable temperature.
5. Grind the pieces of coconut with the diluted hot water till smooth. Depending on the quantity you are making, you may need to grind in batches.
6. Pour in a sieve to separate the coconut milk from the chaff. Then press with your hands to squeeze out the last drop.
7. Grind the chaff a second time to get more coconut milk.
8. Use a sieve with a finer mesh to remove the tiniest particles from the coconut milk.
9. When done, cover the bowl of coconut milk and keep it in the fridge overnight.
10. The next morning, you will see that the coconut oil has separated from the water and caked beautifully on top like a frozen lake.
11. Take the caked white coconut oil and place in a clean dry stainless steel pot.
The water remaining in the bowl still has some coconut taste and can be used to boil White Rice, prepare Jollof Coconut Rice, White Coconut Rice and any other recipe that calls for coconut milk.
12. Cover the pot and start cooking on low to medium heat. If you notice any smoke at any time as you cook, reduce the heat to very low.Keep an eye on the pot and stir from time to time.
13. Cook till you notice some charred coconut bits in the oil.
14. Set the pot aside so the coconut oil can cool down to a comfortable temperature.
15. Sieve with a chiffon cloth or a cheese cloth to remove the charred bits. If you still notice any charred bits in the sieved coconut oil, sieve again with a paper towel. Store in your cupboard and use when you wish.That's it! Use coconut oil for cooking, for your hair and body.