TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Fani-Kayode is being over fresh allegations: EFCC

By The Rainbow
Listen to article

The Economic and Financial crimes Commission on Thursday told a  Federal Capital Territory High Court,   Abuja presided over by Justice Olukayode Adeniyi was  on Thursday that the the former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode was being held over fresh allegations against him.

Chief Ifedayo Adedipe (SAN), counsel to Fani-Kayode, had approached the court to persuade it to order the release of his client from the detention of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

Adedipe said the commission had breached the rights of his client by keeping him for about 14 days without preferring any charge against him.

He also argued that there was no proof of a fresh petition against his client.

“My lord, there is also no proof that there is any ongoing investigation of my client.

We are seeking the intervention of the court to immediately halt the arbitrary detention of my client,” he said.

On his part, Salisu Majidadi, the counsel to the EFCC, prayed the court to discountenance the suit, adding that the detention of Fani-Kayode had the backing of the law.

Majidadi said the commission was investigating the spokesperson of the Peoples Democratic Party Presidential Campaign Organisation‎ for the 2015 election on a fresh allegation.

He said, “This fresh allegation is different from the case of the N800 million, which led to his initial detention.”

The former Minister of Aviation was accused of receiving the N800 million from the $2.1 billion meant for procurement of arms for the fight against Boko Haram.

Majidadi told the court on Thursday: “My lord, this fresh petition ‎received against the former minister by EFCC Special Task Force in Lagos prompted his relocation from Abuja to Lagos.

“The commission invited Fani-Kayode on May 9 and on May 10 we obtained a court order to detain him in Abuja with respect to the alleged N800 million ‎scam.

“The court order obtained by the EFCC from the FCT High Court expired on May 24.

“We were compelled to hand him over to the Special Task Force in Lagos on May 23 when the order of court to remand him was renewed in Lagos jurisdiction.”

Adenyi later fixed June 29 for judgment in the violation of fundamental human rights suit.

The Judge, fixed the date after listening to the submissions of the parties.