Looted funds: Buhari to disclose recovered amount May 29
President Muhammadu Buhari has promised to disclose to Nigerians the amount his government has so far recovered from those who looted the nation's treasury on May 29.
His administration will be one year on that day having been inaugurated as the nation's President on May 29, 2015.
Buhari disclosed this in an interview he granted some journalists before he departed London. He had attended an Anti-Corruption Summit organised by the British Prime Minister, David Cameron.
'So far, what has come out, what has been recovered in whatever currency from each ministries, departments and individuals, I intend on the 29th to speak on this. This is because of all Nigerians are getting from the mass media, because of the number of people arrested either by the EFCC or DSS. But we want to make a comprehensive report on the 29th,' the President told his interviewers.
When asked whether he will also publish the names of the looters, Buhari replied, 'Yes, eventually, it has to be done because we want to successfully prosecute them. But you know you cannot go to the courts unless you have documents for prosecution.
'People signed for these monies into their personal accounts, their banks gave statements that the money is there, when it came, how much and so on.'
When asked to react to the allegation that his administration's anti-corruption war is selective, the President said such accusation was against the law enforcement agencies.
He however assured Nigerians that he has not been interfering in the work of the agencies.
He said a critical assessment of those who are being detained for corruption cases would show that they cut across board. - Thisday.