FG asks ECOWAS court to dismiss Dasuki's suit
The Community Court of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) on Tuesday heard the Federal Government's objection to the fundamental rights enforcement suit filed by a former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.) and fixed April 11 for ruling.
At the hearing of the government's objection to the suit, the Federal Government urged the ECOWAS court to dismiss the suit for lack of jurisdiction.
Dasuki is being prosecuted on three separate sets of charges, some bordering on alleged diversion of funds meant for the procurement of arms. He was re-arrested on December 29, 2015, shortly after he was released from the Kuje Prison on bail.
In his suit, instituted by his counsel, Mr. Robert Emukpoeruo, the former NSA is asking the ECOWAS Court to declare as unlawful, unconstitutional and a breach of his fundamental right his arrest since last year without a lawful court order.
The applicant also prayed the court to declare his detention as unlawful and a violation of his right to dignity of human person, privacy and family life.
He said the said rights were guaranteed and protected under sections 34 and 37 of the Nigerian Constitution and Article 17 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Right and Article 12 of the Universal of Human Right.
He slammed the Federal Government for allegedly keeping him in dehumanising conditions after he had been granted bail by courts of competent jurisdiction and after he had fulfilled the bail conditions for his release. Punch.