Lagos Seals Lekki Gardens, Contractor Arrested As Death Toll Hits 30
BEVERLY HILLS, March 09, (THEWILL) – The Lagos State Government has sealed Lekki Gardens over the collapse of a five-storey building under construction at Kushenla Road, Ikate Elegushi in the Lekki area of the state.
This was revealed by Steve Ayorinde, Commissioner for Information and Strategy, in a statement released on Wednesday, which indicted the contractor of the project which has led to the death of 30 persons.
“The Lagos state government announced that based on preliminary reports and investigation, it was discovered that the collapsed building was served contravention notice for exceeding the approved floors and thereafter sealed by the Lagos State Building Control Agency,” the statement read.
“It has also been discovered that in a brazen act of defiance and impunity, the owners of the building, Messrs Lekki Worldwide Estate Limited, the promoters of Lekki Gardens, criminally unsealed the property and continued building beyond the approved floors until the unfortunate incident of Tuesday which has led to loss of lives.
“The government will no longer tolerate the action of unscrupulous owners and builders who challenge its supervisory control thereby endangering the lives of Lagosians.
“The state government has consequently directed the suspension of work at the site and ordered the Lagos state police command to cordon it off as it is now a crime scene.
“The government also directed further integrity tests be carried out on every other construction project which has or is currently being handled by Messrs Lekki Worldwide Estate Limited in the interest of public safety.
“Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode has advised all directors of Lekki Worldwide Estate Limited to submit themselves to the Lagos State Commissioner of Police within the next twenty four hours in their own interest or face immediate arrest.”
Meanwhile, the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has disclosed that the death toll at the collapsed building had risen to 30 as at 4 pm on Wednesday.
The General Manager of LASEMA, Michael Akindele, told the News Agency of Nigeria that as at 12.40 p.m. Wednesday, 13 other people had been rescued while the 30th dead person was brought before 4pm.
“As we speak, we have been able to rescue 13 people alive, and unfortunately, 30 others have been brought out dead,” he said.
“The operation is still ongoing, and I want to commend all the security agencies that have ensured the protection of the rescue operatives.”
Furthermore, the Lagos state police command has arrested the contractor handling the failed building project.
According to Oladapo Badmus, Police Spokesperson, Lagos, the contractor, Odofin Taiwo, is currently under investigation.
Story by David Oputah