TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Fg Sues Iocs Over Missing $12bn Crude Oil Revenue

Source: thewillnigeria.com
Listen to article

SAN FRANCISCO, March 08, (THEWILL) – The President Muhammadu Buhari-led government has instituted civil suits against international oil companies, IOCs, operating in the country in a bid to recover over N2trn in alleged missing revenues from over 57 million barrels of crude oil shipments that were believed to have been declared or under-declared between 2011 and 2014.

This move has been interpreted by industry watchers as a major step by the present administration to curb the menace of crude oil theft in the country, particularly in view of the President's belief that a lot of the oil theft under his predecessor's administration went on with the collusion of international oil tankers that lift Nigeria's crude on behalf of the IOCs and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC.

It was gathered by ThisDay that the suit filed on the government's behalf by a team of lawyers led by Prof. Fabian Ajogwu SAN against the oil major, is praying the Federal High Court in Lagos to direct the oil firms to pay into its account with the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, the sum of over $0.6 billion (comprising $51,033,180, $462,681,780, and $145,551) in the first instance, being the value of missing revenues accruable to the government of Nigeria from the shortfall/undeclared/under-declared crude oil shipments made by the defendants.

The legal team of the Federal Government explained in its deputations that the significant crude oil theft for which payment is being sought, takes the form of accounting fraud, non-declaration or under-declaration of crude and gas cargoes.

In one instance, the team revealed some cases where it was discovered that an oil tanker declared that it loaded about 50,000 barrels at Nigeria's port, but the same vessel on arrival at a port in the United States, discharged over 60,000 barrels of crude oil revealing a difference of 10,000 extra barrels uncounted for.

It noted that it is all these cumulative differences that account for the losses running into billions of dollars in lost revenues.

The legal team, in the suits, stated that there is documentary evidence showing that over 57 million barrels of Nigeria's crude oil was illegally exported by the oil companies and sold to buyers in the US alone from January 2011 to December 2014.

It went further to submit that the missing revenue due to Nigeria as a direct result of this non-declaration and/or under-declaration of shipments made between 2011 and 2014 to buyers in the US alone is valued at $12,722,600,327.

According to documents filed in court and sighted by ThisDay, at an official exchange rate of N197 to the dollar, the said amount translates to over N2,493,629,664,092.

Exhibits attached to the court processes showed that there were a series of investigations undertaken by a consortium of experts comprising Nigerian and American lawyers as well as technical partners (both foreign and local) engaged by the federal government.

The job of this consortium of experts, according to the documents, included intelligence-based tracking of the global movements of Nigeria hydrocarbons, including crude oil and gas, with the main purpose of identifying the companies engaged in the practice that led to missing revenues from crude oil and gas exports/sales to different parts of the world.

The outcome of the said investigations revealed that the crude oil declared to have been exported from Nigeria between January 2011 and December 2014, was less than what was declared to have been imported into the United States of America, a country that maintains detailed records and has stricter compliance measures.

Before filing the suits against the IOCs, the report has it that all the crucial data and intelligence reports submitted by the consortium of experts had been shared with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, which in turn is poised to begin major recoveries from the errant companies for payment to the central bank account.

The newspaper reports that the matter had neither been assigned to a judge nor a reaction received from any of the oil companies as at press time.