Ex-defence Chief, Badeh, Loses Bail Application
BEVERLY HILLS, March 04, (THEWILL) – A Federal High Court in Abuja has refused to grant a bail application filed by former Chief of Defence Staff, Alex Badeh.
Badeh, a retired Air Chief Marshal, has been in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) since February 8, and faces a 10-count charge of criminal breach of trust and corruption to the tune N3.9billion.
His counsel, Samuel Zibiri, had told the court to grant the application to bail based on self-recognition or on liberal terms pending his arraignment by the anti-graft agency arguing Badeh had voluntarily honoured the invitation of the EFCC on February 8.
He also told the court that Badeh had been detained for more than the period required by the Constitution without trial, as he spoke against his continued detention.
However, Cosmos Ugwu, counsel to the EFCC, opposed the application, saying the commission should be allowed to complete its investigation.
He revealed that the applicant's current detention in Lagos was not related to the earlier issues that led to his invitation and subsequent detention in Abuja.
Delivering his ruling, Justice John Tsoho, on Friday, said he could not grant the bail application because there was a subsisting remand order by a Lagos Magistrate Court, and there was no application to set it aside.
Justice Tsoho declared that Badeh only filed an application for bail, and did not seek to set aside the order of the magistrate court obtained by the EFCC.
Story by David Oputah