Highlights From The GSMA’s 2015 State of the Industry Report on Mobile Financial Services
1 billion Mobile Money transactions in December 2015: At around 33 million per day, that’s more than double the amount PayPal processed globally.
- 134 million active Mobile Money users by December 2015 (103m in December 2014)
That’s equivalent to more than three quarters of PayPal’s reported 173 million users
- 411 million registered Mobile Money users
There are at least 19 countries with more Mobile Money accounts than bank accounts
- 30 services with more than 1 million active users
5 of those services actually have more than 5 million active users
- 271 active services in 93 countries
That’s more than the number of officially recognised currencies in the world, which is 180
- 1 in 3 mobile connections in Sub-Saharan Africa are linked to a Mobile Money account
Even more impressive, Mobile Money penetration in East Africa exceeds 50 per cent
WorldRemit & Mobile Money
In addition to offering airtime topup, bank deposit and cash pick-up options, WorldRemit is the leading provider of instant transfers to Mobile Money wallets.
- 100,000 transfers on WorldRemit are sent to Mobile Money accounts every month, equivalent to 25% of all money transfers. More than 50%of all transfers to Africa are currently received as Mobile Money.
- 90 million individual Mobile Money accounts can be reached as part of WorldRemit’s network of partnerships with leading Mobile Money providers like MTN, Tigo, or Econet.
- 29 Mobile Money services in 21 countries across Europe, Africa and Asia are connected to WorldRemit – literally from Armenia to Zimbabwe. The company recently expanded its global partnership with MTN to include Uganda, Zambia & Rwanda.
- Founded in 2010 by Ismail Ahmed, a former compliance advisor to the United Nations, WorldRemit is available in 50 countries and offers transfers to more than 125 destinations.