#2016 Budget 25 Random Observations
Let’s Start With The State House, Nigeria’s Seat Of Executive Power
- N536,295,924- Linking Cables to Driver's Rest Room at Aso Rock
- N33,277,595- Stage Curtains + Electrical Drive at Aso Rock
- N3,914,197,062- Annual routine maintenance at Aso Rock
- N1,559,911,748 Electrical work at Aso Rock
- #3 and #4 above come to
- N5,474,108,810 or
- N14,956,581 Each and Every Day for Routine Maintenance and Electrical Installations
- N623,190 is spent for Routine Maintenance and Light Work each and EVERY hour by Aso Rock.
- N10,387 is spent for routine maintenance and light work each and EVERY minute by Aso Rock
- N173 is spent for routine maintenance and light work each and EVERY second by Aso Rock
- N259,015,000 Purchase of Tyres, Batteries, Fuses, Toolboxes, Car Jacks, Tyre Changing 'Machines', etc. for Aso Rock vehicles.
- N618,000,000 Purchase of 5 BMW Saloons, 5 BMW SUVs, 16 & 33 Seater Toyota Hiace Buses and pick up vans for Aso Rock.
- N27,000,000 Purchase of C-Caution Signs, Fire Extinguishers, Towing Ropes and Booster Cables for Aso Rock fleet.
- N904,015,000 Cost of Acquisition of BRAND NEW automobile fleet and Fleet Maintenance Equipment for Aso Rock.
- Consequently, Aso Rock is spending:
- N2,469,986 EACH and EVERY day on its automobile fleet.
- N102,916 EACH and EVERY hour on its automobile fleet.
- N1715 EACH and EVERY Minute on its automobile fleet.
- N29 EACH and EVERY Second on its automobile fleet.
- Ministry of Defense too has interesting financial priorities-
- N700,000,000 Armed Forces Specialist Hospital
- N1,394,709,718House Boat
- French Language Village, Badagry, 3 Totally unrelated line items each have the exact same budget amount.
- N17,897,716Clinic Block
- N17,897,716250 Meter Perimeter Fence
- N17,897,716Female Hostel
- Meetings are another example of money going down the drain:
- N10,000,000 - National Board of Technical Education - 'To meet with...
'DANGOTE'... and other Key NVQ Stakeholders...
- N62,701,773- FGGC Monguno- Meeting of Tender Board et. al
- N80,000,000- APPA Ministerial Meeting
- N82,200,000 – Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Mgt. Meeting for Award
- N400,000,000 – General Meeting and Symposium Shelter Afrique in Nigeria
- Total Capital Expenditure in the Medical Sector leaves a lot to be desired
- N230,904,795University College Hospital Ibadan
- N212,539,245Lagos University Teaching Hospital
- N230,904,795Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital
- N218,335,908University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital
- N212,886,502University of Benin Teaching Hospital
- N162,622,221ObafemiAwolowo University Teaching Hospital
- N166,802,164University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital
- N228,717,880Jos University Teaching Hospital
- N169,498,392University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital
- N3,865,629,221State House (Aso Rock) Medical Center
- As if it’s not bad enough that no Teaching Hospital got more funding than the Aso Rock Medical Center, both the Federal Staff Hospital Abuja and the National Hospital Abuja also got a fraction of what the Aso Rock Medical Center got:
- N153,625,651 - Federal Staff Hospital Abuja
- N329,429,817 - National Hospital, Abuja
- N3,865,629,221- Aso Rock Medical Center
- Then we have this icing on the medical cake:
- N2,666,853,303 - Federal Ministry of Health Construction of Hospitals NATIONWIDE:
- N3,865,629,221 - Aso Rock Medical Center
Looking at our misguided priorities from another angle, compare and contrast:
- N904,015,000Cost of New Car Fleet & Fleet Maintenance Equipment for Aso Rock.
- N1,096,612,966Modernization of Tertiary Hospitals Across Nigeria.
- Books are another area where the Budget misses it completely. The Vice President gets more allocated to him for books that ANY university library.
- N4,906,822 State House Operations- Vice President
- N93,992University of Abuja
- N710,722ObafemiAwolowo University
- N947,283University of Benin Teaching Hospital
- N2,077,478University of Jos
Honorable mention goes to the National Library of Nigeria which has
N5,021,254allocated for books.
Moving right along:
- N130,188,931 - NnamdiAzikiwe Teaching Hospital- DOORS
- N22,342,494- University of Calabar Teaching Hostpital - Evacuation of rubbies from the building’. Yes ‘RUBBIES’
- Painting and Fencing also big business in the budget:
- N165,100,000 - Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority- Painting
- N46,826,911- Institute of Agricultural Research- Zaria – Painting
- N28,687,386- FGGC Keana- 300M Fence
- N40,572,200 –National Cereals Research Institute, Badeggi- 3km Fence
- FGC Keffi- 1000 Meter Fence
N108,209,272- FGC Azare, 3000 Meter Fence
N108,208,273- FGC Azare, 3000 Meter Fence (yes 2 fences)
N346,000,000- Ministry of Transport- Jos Airport 10Km Fence
N1,498,505,744 – Nigerian Defense Academy- Kaduna- Perimeter Fence
- Chairs are big business too:
- N99,281,250 -National Theater- 1,600 Chairs
- N585,000,000Ministry of Communication Technology HQ- Chairs
- Let’s not forget tables:
- N415,500,000- Ministry of Communication Technology HQ- Tables
Curious Buildings and Boreholes are in the Budget too:
- N500,000,000- Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority- 6 Aviation Family Centers-
- N308,000,000- VIP Wing at State House Medical Center-
- N400,000,000- Hostel at Nigerian-Benin International School-
- Ministry of Works, Power & Housing HQ:
- N400,000,000- Solar Borehole
- N161,500,000- Motorized Borehole
The Budget also has some interesting pricing for the Toyota Hilux, figures below are for 1 Vehicle.
- N1,264,941- GashakaGumti National Park
- N5,700,000- Nigerian Natural Medicine Development Agency
- N6,500,000- FGGC Owerri
- N7,500,000- Ministry of Technology, Akure
- N8,855,000- FGGC Gumi Tambuwal
- N9,178,142- FGGC Umuahia
- N10,000,000 FGC EzzamgboAbakaliki
- N11,147,675– FTC Lassa
- N12,888,016- Ministry of Health
- N13,500,000 – FGC Okigwe
- N15,970,515- Foreign Service Academy
- N26,600,000National Security Adviser
- N27,273,523- FTC Ikare
- N27,660,000- FGGC Kazaure
Last but definitely neither least nor strangest is this:
N140,911,157 - National Troupe of Nigeria
For more on how the #2016Budget is full of items which shortchange Nigeria, visit MukhtarDan’Iyan on Twitter, his handle is @MrAyeDee and his work (along with the work of many others) on the budget is under the hashtag #2016Budget.