Abia Governor Prioritizes Implementing UN SDGs In 2016 Budget Presentation, As SDGs Take Effect #AbiaWeWant
The Sustainable Development Goals, a universal set of goals, targets and indicators that UN member states will use to drive global economic growth, social inclusion, and environmental protection began on January 1, 2016.
On the eve of their start, Abia’s Governor committed to the SDGs implementation as a cornerstone of his 2016 Budget. The SDGs focused excerpts from the 2016 Budget Presentation to the State House of Assembly follow:
1) We are poised more than ever before, to continue to provide enduring, committed and supportive roles toSustainable Development Goals which is a new programme that will drive a new development policy built on the gains of MDGs. These programmes/policies will enhance the following :
– Economic Development
– Environmental Sustainability
– Social inclusion
– Positive Governance
2) Achievement and full implementation of the 2016 budget is proposed to be based on the following control measures:
– Abia State Blue print for Development Vision 20;20;20 and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) shall be the main focus for economic growth of our State.
3) The 2016 Budget is basically designed to address the critical issues that underline the present Global aspiration to attain Sustainable Development Goals and Targets in the State. It is an annual plan of action for achieving the following:
1. Growth aimed at improvement in the quality of life of Abians.
2. People as fundamental reason for growth, and
3. Achieving inclusiveness, equity and balanced development.
4) ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: Agriculture is expected to provide the lead in the growth for socio-economic development in the State. With the available arable land and favourable climatic factors for the growth of numerous food and crops, agriculture has the potential that will drive our food sufficiency objective which meets theSustainable Development Goal of bringing an end to hunger, achieve food security, improve nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
5) YOUTHS / WOMEN AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT: Furthermore, we will not rest on our oars until we realize the following Sustainable Development Goals and targets:
– Adopt and strengthen sound policies and enforceable legislation for the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls at all levels.
– End all forms of discrimination against women and girls everywhere in Abia State.
– Eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls in public and private spheres, including trafficking and sexual and other types of exploitation.
– Ensure increased access to credit/investment opportunities for women.
– Promote, support and encourage continuous job creation for youths through Education for Employment (E4E) Empowerment and Development.
– Continue to improve income per-capita of youths by 20% in 2016.
To read the Governor’s entire Budget Presentation that occurred on December 31, 2015, please visit: http://www.abiastate.gov.ng/news/abia-state-budget-2016-as-presented-by-governor-okezie-ikpeazu/
SSA (Gov) Sustainable Development Goals