145 Killed As Boko Haram Attacks Borno Villages

Source: thewillnigeria.com

BEVERLY HILLS, July 02, (THEWILL) – No fewer than 145 persons were killed within 48 hours when Boko Haram attacked two villages in Monguno Local Government Area of Borno State.

Local sources told THEWILL that the first to be attacked by the insurgents on Tuesday was Musarram village where 48 males were killed and 17 others injured.

A local resident, Abba Mohammed, disclosed that the insurgents on Wednesday stormed Kukawa village where they killed 97 villagers.

Though there was no official confirmation of the attacks from the military when filing this report, a member of the House of Representatives representing the area, Hon. Muhammed Tahir Monguno, confirmed the attacks while speaking with journalists in Maiduguri Thursday.

“I received the sad news yesterday that Boko Haram terrorists had attacked some communities near Monguno.

“Since their dislodgment from the Sambisa forest, many Boko Haram terrorists had relocated to areas around Monguno where they have been picking on hapless villages and killing residents there.

“On Tuesday, the terrorists attacked the twin villages of Mussaram I and Mussaram II in the night. They went there in the night when the villagers were resting after the day’s fasting and assembled them before opening fire on them,” he said.

A resident of Kukawa, Abba Isa, whose uncle was killed along with his children in the attack on Wednesday, said: “They killed my uncle and his children… about five of them and set his entire house ablaze. I can tell you that the attackers have killed at least 97 persons in the attack.”

Also speaking on the attack, a local vigilante member, Modu Kurawa, said the insurgents, numbering about 40 raided the village for over four hours.

According to him, “There was no single soldier in Kukawa when the terrorists came around 6.30pm. The soldiers were in Kuros-Kawwa which is just 11 kilometers away. The terrorists stole assorted food from houses and homes and then set everything ablaze. They left around 11 pm.”