TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Liberia Confirms Second Ebola Case

Source: thewillnigeria.com
Listen to article

BEVERLY HILLS, July 01, (THEWILL) – Liberia Tuesday confirmed a second case of the deadly Ebola disease just a day after a new case was detected forcing the World Health Organisation (WHO) to withdraw the Ebola-free certification it had earlier awarded the West African nation.

“We have two confirmed cases today in Liberia,” said Dr Moses Massaquoi, Case Management team leader for Liberia’s Ebola task force. He did not provide details of the new case.

The body of a 17 year-old boy from Margibi County, a rural area outside of Monrovia, tested positive for the virus on Sunday and was buried the same day.

Massaquoi said that tests were underway to establish whether there are further cases.

Health officials said they isolated people who had contact with the teenager and are at risk of further infection.

A message from a social media account of the Liberian information ministry said that two people from the teenager’s home had been confirmed as Ebola positive.

Ebola has killed over 11, 200 persons since 2013 when it broke out in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. Nigeria successfully contained the virus when it hit its shores last year killing at least 5 persons.