Fayose declares dusk-to-dawn curfew in Ekiti
Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, has declared a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Ado Ekiti to prevent the raging fight between transport workers and Hausa traders from spreading to other parts of the state.
The governor, while addressing the Hausa Community in the Atikankan area of Ado Ekiti, said the curfew, starting from 6pm and ending at 6am, would begin on Thursday, directing security agencies to arrest whoever failed to comply with the order.
The governor, who appealed to the Hausa community to be patient, promised that they would get justice.
He said, 'You said you love me, this is the time you have to show this love. I want to plead with you to submit whatever lethal weapon you have in your possession to the police. And if you refuse to do this, whether you are Yoruba or Hausa, the police will arrest you.
'Nigeria belongs to all of us and for the sake of our country, I plead with you to allow peace to reign.'
The state Secretary of National Union of Road Transport Workers, Mr. Akinsola Osundiya, at a briefing with journalists in Ado Ekiti, distanced members of the union from the crisis.
'Our members do not load vehicles in that area, so we were not in anyway involved in the clash with the Hausa traders,' he said.
The Chairman of Hausa Community in Ekiti State, Alhaji Adamu Imam, appealed to the state government for monetary assistance for those whose property were damaged by hoodlums during the crisis.
Imam said the names of the perpetrators of the violent attack had been compiled and would be made available to the governor and security agencies for necessary actions.
However, the Ekiti State Police Command said the number of injured had risen to 24 in the violent clash between Hausa traders and some drivers in Ado Ekiti, the state capital.
A statement by the Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Alberto Adeyemi, on behalf of the Police Commissioner, Mr Etop James, said two of those injured sustained gunshot wounds and were receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital.
'Nobody died in the incident contrary to reports. Only two persons sustained pellet wounds while 22 others sustained varying degrees of injuries,' he added.