UKTI DEFENCE AND SECURITY TRADE MISSION TO KENYA: 28 – 29 JANUARY 2015
NAIROBI, Kenya, January 27, 2015/African Press Organization (APO)/ -- The first UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) Defence & Security Trade Mission to Kenya takes place in Nairobi 28 – 29 January 2015. The Mission, the first of its kind to Kenya, brings a trade delegation of 17 leading UK companies from across the Defence & Security Sector, all seeking to do new business in Kenya.
The British High Commissioner, Dr. Christian Turner, will be hosting a briefing for media at the Fairmont Norfolk Hotel Nairobi on Wednesday 28th January from 1715 – 1745. Dr. Turner will discuss UK/Kenya security co-operation across a broad range of areas, focused on building Kenya's capacity to tackle threats through the provision of expertise, technology and equipment.
The UK is a world leader in the global defence & security market. It is the second largest exporter of new defence products and services - with a market share of around 22% (£9.8bn) – and the sixth largest exporter of new security products and services. The UKTI Defence & Security Mission aims to increase the UK's share of the defence and security market in Kenya by helping UK companies provide cutting-edge capabilities in areas including: Counter Improvised Explosive Device (CIED) and Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD); border security; forensics; and counter poaching.
The event will also be attended by ICT Cabinet Secretary Dr. Fred Matiangi, and representatives from the military including Maj. Gen. Robert Kibochi (Asst. Chief of Defence Forces, Operations, Training, Doctrine and Planning), and Maj. O. O. Opiyo (Strategic Policy).
The event takes place Wednesday January 27, 2015 at 5pm at the Fairmont Norfolk Hotel, South Ball Room.
Members of the media are invited to cover the event and are requested to confirm and submit names of reporters and cameramen attending the event to the British High Commission Press Office by 1200 pm Wednesday 28 January.
Brief bios of UK Companies attending as follows:
1. 3SDL- A leading provider of Acquisition Services to Defence & Security clients around the world, looking to support procurement and through life support.
2. AB Precision - A provider of a wide range of products and services in the design, manufacture and support of electro mechanical equipment, such as bomb disposal units
3. ATOM Training - Offer fully customisable C-IED and forensic training programmes, providing a progressive learning platform and courses to counter threats relevant to a client's particular situation.
4. Burton Safes - Specialist suppliers of Physical Security Solutions, principally Safes & Vaults, but with an expanding portfolio encompassing ballistic doors & walling and access control products.
5. Cellmark - expertise in the recovery of forensic evidence from exploited incendiary devices and other forensic exhibits for Counter Terrorism incidents.
6. Cobham Surveillance - world leader in securing, sharing and communicating situational awareness in challenging environments, from urban environments to remote mine sites and game reserves.
7. Concept Smoke Screen - Provider of powerful security fogging solutions that reduce theft, deter criminals, and protect property.
8. CPN Tracking & Search - Offer unique capability to provide specialised training and a multi-faceted force protection capability training package for police, military and government agencies.
9. IndigoVision - A leader in the design and manufacture of high performance, intelligent video security systems.
10. Inmarsat - Leading provider of global mobile satellite communication services, delivering reliable voice and high speed data communications on land, sea and air.
11. Mabey Bridge - Specialist suppliers of high quality steel bridges, wind turbine towers and heavy plated structural steel works.
12. Med-Eng - Provide solutions for defeating threats from explosive devices, such as Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and conventional munitions.
13. Newport Africa - leading provider of risk management, safety and security services in the East Africa and the Horn of Africa region.
14. Scanna MSC - leading British manufacturer specialising in high performance x-ray screening and detection equipment for high threat security locations and field based x-ray inspection.
15. Surrey Satellite Technology - Deliver complete mission solutions for remote sensing, science, navigation and telecommunications as well as supplying avionics suites, subsystems and ground infrastructure.
16. Thales UK - Research, develop, manufacture and supply technology and services to the aerospace, defence, security, space and transportation sectors.
17. Zada Technology - Expertise in all areas of electronic security systems in particularity high Definition and Ultra High Definition IP CCTV. Also provides services in network architecture and offer extensive training and maintenance programmes.