TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Boko Haram Sacks JTF Base In Baga, Abducts 40 Youths In Malari

Source: thewillnigeria.com
Listen to article

… Scores Feared Killed In Yobe
BEVERLY HILLS, January 04, (THEWILL) – Boko Haram gunmen weekend stormed the fishing community of Baga in Borno State , sacking the base of the multinational Joint Task Force (JTF) in the town before killing scores of residents, including soldiers.

Military sources who confirmed the attack which took place at about 5am on Saturday disclosed that the soldiers were practically caught unawares and dislodged by the gunmen.

“It was an ugly development in Baga on Saturday morning, when the Boko Haram insurgents attacked the base of the Multinational Joint Task Force there and practically dislodged the soldiers. I cannot tell you how bad it was but it was really bad because we heard that the base was attacked unawares, though the extent of damage is yet unknown,” one of the sources told THEWILL. ‎

The sacking of Baga came after 40 youths were seized Thursday in Malari by the gunmen, who sources say have now opened a new camp, known as Modube, near the Sambisa Forest, which used to be their fortress.

Confirming the development, a military operative who craved anonymity told THEWILL thus: “Our office had received the Intel(ligence report) that on January 1, 2015, at about 5pm, some Boko Haram gunmen had invaded one Malari village in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State, where they killed some of the villagers and abducted some youths, who might have been taken to one of Boko Haram's hideouts known as Modube Camp.

“Modube Camp is one of the new bases where the Boko Haram insurgents are now hiding.”

Recounting their ordeal in the hands of the insurgents, some residents of Malari, who were lucky to escape the attack, said the insurgents stormed the village in the night, disguising as Muslim preachers, asking the villagers to come out to listen to some sermons before opening fire on many as they abducted others.

A farmer and resident of Bulari, Bulama Malam, who witnesses the attack disclosed that no fewer than 40 youths were abducted.

He said: “They gathered many of us near the house of the village head, after telling us that they wanted to preach to us; and then, they began to select young men aged between 12 and 25.

“I was lucky to escape, because they only selected very young and able-bodied men.”

Meanwhile, the Boko Haram insurgents weekend continued their attack on neighbouring Yobe State as they stormed Babbangida town Saturday morning. Babbangida is the headquarters of Tarmuwa Local Government Area and is situated 50 kilometres north of Damaturu, the Yobe state capital.

Narrating the ordeal of the villagers, a resident of the town, Ibrahim Nur, said the gunmen stormed the village at about 6:30pm as they engaged the security forces in a shoot-out.

Nur said the insurgents attacked the military base located north of the town, the police station at the southern part, the Local Government secretariat, the Government Lodge and the primary school in the village.

According to Nur, “The security forces from what we have seen so far have been able to repel them, but we are still entertaining fear that the battle may continue today.”

He however disclosed that the casualty figure remains unknown as the military immediately cordoned off the battlefields, making access to the areas impossible.