British Deputy High Commissioner Dies At Lagos Airport


BEVERLY HILLS, September 03, (THEWILL) - Ambassador Peter Carter Leslie, the British Deputy High Commissioner to Nigeria, died Tuesday afternoon at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos, Nigeria's commercial hub, after arriving on a United Airlines Flight UA143 from Houston, USA.

Reports said the diplomat slumped at the avio-bridge just as he made his way out of the aircraft late Tuesday afternoon and efforts to resuscitate him by British High Commission officials and Port Health Services personnel failed. One report said he died from a possible heart attack.

A report on the incident written by the Federal Ministry of Health Port Health Services, which was signed by Doctors E.E. Ukatu and Abdullai, which was published by local newspaper THISDAY said: 'The Port Health Services was called today (2/9/14) by a FAAN (Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria) medical nurse at about 4.07 pm from the D arrival screening point to see a passenger (the deceased) said to have arrived onboard a United Airlines flight from Houston, Texas.

'It was reported that after disembarking, the passenger was observed to be clutching his chest and asking for help.

'In the course of examination, he was asked if he was Asthmatic, and he said 'MAY BE'.

“On examination, he was found to be pale, in respiratory distress (gasping for breath), his pulse was rapid and thready. Based on his response to the question if he was asthmatic, a Ventolin inhaler was administered, but was not effective, as the patient was restless and threw off the inhaler to the floor. He was placed on the left lateral position and at the same time, oxygen was called for.

'Efforts were made to administer oxygen, while a second doctor was called and suction applied via a suction machine to clear the airway.

'Subsequently, the patient suffered a cardio-pulmonary arrest; the radial and carotid pulses were no longer palpable and patient was observed to be cyanosed. Attempts at resuscitation proved abortive. Pupils were fixed and dilated and patient was certified dead at 4.26 pm.'