Finally, Lamido Sanusi Withdraws Case Against President Jonathan
SAN FRANCISCO, July 03, (THEWILL) - At last, the new Emir of Kano and former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, has dropped the case he instituted against President Goodluck Jonathan and the Federal Government , in which he was challenging his suspension from office.
The National Industrial Court (NIC) at the last hearing of the case had suggested an out-of-court settlement of the case , urging counsel to both parties to explore the option.
Although counsel to the Emir of Kano could not be reached on the telephone for comments on the new development, one of the defence lawyers, Chief Mike Ozekhome, confirmed that a notice to drop the case had been filed by Lamido Sanusi's lawyer.
On February 20, President Jonathan had placed Lamido Sanusi on suspension the CBN Governor, accusing him of financial recklessness. But in the notice of discontinuance dated July 1 and filed same day, Lamido Sanusi's lawyers said that the former CBN governor was no longer interested in continuing with the case.
The former CBN Governor had had dragged the Federal Government before a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja challenging his suspension. But the trial judge, Justice Gabriel Kolawole, ruled that although Lamido Sanusi had an arguable case, the proper forum to ventilate his claim waâ€Žs before the NIC and not the Federal High Court.
Justice Kolawole, who held that the case bordered on industrial matters and could not be adjudicated upon by the High Court, consequently transferred the case to the NIC.
And while transferring the case, the judge said that in line with sections 251 and 254 of the 1999 Constitution, the CBN was a creation of the National Assembly, and Lamido Sanusi was a public officer.
He further held that since the former CBN helmsman was an employee of the CBN by virtue of the CBN Act No 7 of 2007, he was a public servant whose appointment was a labour-related matter that could be properly adjudicated upon by the Industrial Court.
Joined in the suit as defendants were President Jonathan, the Attorney General of the Federation, and the Inspector General of Police.
However, the defendants were not satisfied with the refusal of the court to dismiss the case, they consequently lodged an appeal at the Court of Appeal in Abuja.
Lamido Sanusi was also dissatisfied with the judgment and also filed an appeal. Both appeals are still pending as at Thursday when Sanusi, who had said that President Jonathan had no power to suspend him as CBN governor, withdrew the case.