TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Alleged N446.3bn Abacha Loot: FG Discontinues Case Against Mohammed

Source: thewillnigeria.com

… May Hand Abacha PDP Governorship Ticket In Kano
SAN FRANCISCO, June 18, (THEWILL) - A new dimension was Wednesday introduced to the case filed by the Federal Government against Mohammed Abacha, the son of the late military Head of State, General Sani Abacha, over alleged N446.3billion loot.

The Federal Government, which had complained of the non-appearance of the accused in court all the while, suddenly made a volte face, as it withdrew the charges against Abacha on a day the accused finally showed up in court.

The move comes as the ruling party moves to build a solid coalition of political forces in Kano as the general elections draws closer. Political analysts who spoke to THEWILL said the Presidency may hand Mohammed Abacha the governorship ticket of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Kano State as the President prepares for a full blown battle with current Governor Rabiu Kwanwaso, who is being tipped as a top contender for the All Progressives Congress Presidential ticket.

The counsel to the Federal Government, Daniel Enwelum, stunned the court as he announced the Federal Government's decision to discontinue the case at Wednesday's proceedings before Justice Mamman Kolo of Abuja High Court.

A private lawyer, Enwelum, had filed the nine-count charge against Abacha on behalf of the Federal Government, accusing him of 'dishonestly receiving stolen property' and 'voluntarily assisting in concealing money,” belonging to the state and estimated at

N446.3billion.
Efforts to arraign Abacha on the charge twice were unsuccessful as he refused to show up in court on the two occasions when the case was earlier mentioned.

But when Abacha finally showed up in court Wednesday and was preparing to make his plea, Enwelum informed the court that he had been instructed by the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) to discontinue the case.

“I have been instructed by the AGF and Minister of Justice to withdraw the charges as presently filed before this court, because there are fresh facts and documents available to him.

“In this circumstance, he instructed me to file a notice of withdrawal without prejudice to future cause of action to be taken by his (AGF's) office.

“In the light of that, I have filed a notice of withdrawal dated June 17, 2014. I humbly apply to withdraw the charges accordingly,” Enwelum said.

The defence counsel, Abdullahi Haruna, did not object to the Federal Government's decision to discontinue the case just as Justice Kolo granted the discontinuation application and struck out the charge thus discharging Abacha.