Troops Free 121 Girls Abducted By Terrorists In Chibok
One hundred and twenty-one of the abducted students of the Government Girls' Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State have been freed by troops pursuing the suspected members of the Boko Haram sect believed to have carried out the attack.
The number of the freed girls was not disclosed.
According to a statement issued by the Director Defence Information and Coordinator, Major-General Chris Olukolade, some 129 students were abducted on Monday night by a group of terrorists.
Eyewitness had put the number of abducted girls by the terrorists at 200.
The girls were abducted after the group raided the host community in Chibok, a town on the border between Borno and Adamawa States.
Witnesses said the gunmen, who came in Toyota Hilux vehicles and motorcycles, stormed the town and kept firing sporadic gunshots before setting ablaze several houses and shops.
It was also disclosed that the hoodlums carted away several bags of grains and other food items into waiting trucks and buses as residents fled into bushes and farmlands.
Residents also confirmed that the insurgents did not kill any resident or leaders in the town, but the female students were abducted and taken to unknown destination in the forest.
Report says members of the terrorist group killed a soldier guarding the school and inflicted injuries on several villagers before the heavily armed insurgents ordered the girls into a truck and took them away.
In another development, troops deployed to restore law and order in Wukari, Taraba State, have apprehended 14 armed men who were involved in the fighting during the civil disturbances in the town early in the week.
The fighting resulted in the burning of 25 houses and displacement of over 200 persons.
The troops also captured a building where arms were being fabricated, recovering four locally fabricated machine guns, one sub machine gun, four single barrel guns as well as 21 live cartridges.
Normalcy has been restored as troops maintain patrols of the locality.
Major-General Olukolade said security forces had been directed to continue with the tempo of offensive on all the terrorists' enclaves anywhere in the country.