Adoke Withdraws N10.2 Billion Libel Suit Against Melaye
An FCT High on Wednesday struck out a defamation of character suit against, Dino Melaye, a former House of Representatives.
Justice Olusumbo Goodluck struck out the case following an oral application to withdraw the suit by Mr Zakari Garuba, the Counsel to the Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke.
Garuba, who did not give reason for the withdrawal, said: “I am only instructed by my client to withdraw the case and applied that it be struck out.
Melaye's counsel, Mr Moses Ideh, did not object to the application.
The minister in May 2013 slammed a N10.2 billion libel suit against Melaye for alleged damage of his reputation in a publication of April 12, 2013.
Adoke, who joined Melaye's non-governmental oganisation, the Registered Trustees of Anti-corruption Network (ACN), also urged the court to award him N200 million as cost of filing the suit.
He said because of the false and defamatory publication, his hard-earned reputation, character and achievements had been severely tarnished.
Melaye, in the publication, had accused Adoke of corrupt practices, obstruction of justice for corrupt elements and abuse of power as minister of justice.