Eight Suspected Boko Haram Gunmen Arrested In Maiduguri
As Death Toll In Saturday's Twin Explosions Rises To 52 BEVERLY HILLS, March 02, (THEWILL) - Eight suspected Boko Haram gunmen were arrested in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, Sunday, as they attempted to sneak into the popular Maiduguri market to unleash a bloody attack on the traders.
Luck ran against the terrorists as they were promptly apprehended and handed over to the security operatives.
Four of them , according to one of the traders in the market, Babagana Tijjani, were dressed in military uniform while trying to gain entrance into the market to join their other four colleagues-in-crime who had already made their way in.
"The four insurgents dressed in military uniform drove from the direction of Custom area in a Toyota Siena, they were suspected by the Civilian JTF on guard at the market and were questioned after which they were arrested.
"They said their intention was to shoot people in the market, killing and causing bodily harm," Tijjani said.
The arrest of the eight suspected terrorists came as casualty figure in the twin explosions which rocked Maiduguri on Saturday rose to 52 from the initial 32.
The bombing, which is believed to have been targeted at a wedding ceremony in Ajilari- Bintu Sugar area of the metropolis, sent jitters around the town with residents of the area scampering for safety.
Thirty-two persons were reported to have been killed at the high profile wedding ceremony as the first explosion went off while 23 others died in the second explosion.
The rise in the number of casualties arose from the fact that some victims are believed to have been trapped in the collapsed building where the explosion took place and some who were seriously injured also passed on eventually.
"I am part of the team that evacuated 52 bodies from the debris, they were corpses of male and female, children and elderly," a leader of the Civilian JTF in Sector 6, Umaru Ahmed, who was invited by his colleagues in Bintu Sugar to assist in the evacuation of the corpses of the victims, said: He disclosed that 52 bodies were taken to the State Specialists Hospital, Maiduguri to be kept at the morgue as he stressed that 30 others who were injured during the explosions had been taken to the Umaru Shehu Ultra-modern Hospital for treatment.
He disclosed that some bodies of the victims were still trapped in the fallen building and had not been evacuated "up till now.
" According to Ahmed, as the people of the area were busy evacuating the corpses and assisting the injured persons, the second explosion was heard nearby which injured some of the people evacuating the corpses at the marriage ceremony.
He said the bombs were planted in two vehicles loaded with fire woods as the suicide bombers pretended as if they wanted to buy food from the food vendors at the night market .
He disclosed that six of the bombers died in the explosion while the survivor was handed over to security operatives.