Communiqué of the 418th meeting of the AU PSC on the conclusions of the High-Level Seminar on Peace and Security in Africa held at the ministerial level, in Algiers, from 8 to 10 December 2013
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia, February 14, 2014/African Press Organization (APO)/ -- The Peace and Security Council of the African Union (AU), at its 418th meeting held on 11 February 2014, was briefed by the Commission on the Conclusions of the High-Level Seminar on Peace and Security in Africa, held at the ministerial level, in Algiers, from 8 to 10 December 2013, with a view to Assisting Incoming African Members on the UN Security Council in Preparing to Address Peace and Security Issues on the Continent and adopted the following decision:
1. Welcomes the Report of the High Level Seminar. In this regard, Council underlines the need for effective articulation and promotion of Africa's views within the United Nations Security Council on peace and security issues of interest and concern to the continent and its people;
2. Commends the Government of Algeria for launching this initiative and welcomes with appreciation Algeria's offer to host the second High-Level Seminar, to be held in Algiers towards the end of 2014;
3. Endorses the elements of the outcome of the High-Level Seminar and requests AU Member States and relevant AU Policy Organs to consider them for effective implementation in advancement of the African Peace and Security Architecture;
4. Requests the Commission, working closely with the African members of the UN Security Council (A3) and other concerned actors, to take all necessary steps to start the immediate implementation of the outcome of the High–Level Seminar. In particular, Council requests the Commission to take immediate steps to strengthen its capacity to manage peace and security issues in the UN Security Council processes as called for in the Conclusions. Council further requests the Commission to develop a matrix, with timeframe, for the implementation of the action-oriented recommendations as contained in the Conclusions of the High Level Seminar;
5. Further requests the Chairperson of the Commission to transmit this communiqué, together with the Report of the High Level Seminar, to the Secretary-General of the United Nations for onward transmission to Security Council Members for their information;
6. Decides to remain seized of the matter.