Communique Issued At The End Of An Interactive Meeting Of The Leadership Of The Peoples Democratic Movement (PDM) On Monday 27th January, 2014 At The Yar'adua Centre, Abuja.
PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC MOVEMENT
No. 4 Paraguay Close, off Panama Street, Minister's Hill, Maitama, Abuja. 08082678233 [email protected]
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF AN INTERACTIVE MEETING OF THE LEADERSHIP OF THE PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC MOVEMENT (PDM) ON MONDAY 27 TH JANUARY, 2014 AT THE YAR'ADUA CENTRE, ABUJA .
The People's Democratic Movement (PDM) had an interactive meeting on Monday 27 th January 30, 2014 to discuss the Party's preparations for Manual Membership Registration as well as preparations for congresses and National Convention. The meeting had in attendance, members of the National Executive Committee, National Advisory Committee, State Chairmen and Secretaries and invited stakeholders from each of the six geo political zones.
2. The meeting noted that preparations for Manual Membership Registration was complete with all materials required for the exercise ready to be deployed. It also noted that posting of Membership Registration Officers was complete, but that new banking regulations and the logistics of moving funds have become an obstacle to the take off of the exercise. It was therefore resolved that sensitization of members at the grassroots on membership registration should continue at an even more aggressive pace pending the resolution of this particular challenge.
3. The meeting further noted that, in view of the delay in the take off of Membership Registration and the difficulty being encountered in obtaining cooperation from security agencies, the dates of 1st February, 2014 earlier scheduled for the take off of Party Congresses and 22nd February 2014 for the National Convention were no longer feasible. It was therefore resolved that new dates for the two exercises were to be worked out and announced as soon as practicable.
4. A presentation on Guidelines for Membership Registration took place. The presentation was to further sensitize Party leaders to the rules and regulations of the exercise. Another presentation on proposed amendments to the Party's Constitution regarding numbering of articles, number of delegates to congresses and convention, spelling errors, as well as membership of the National Working Committee etc. was also made. Participants were advised to widely circulate and support the proposed amendments.
5. The meeting received former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, GCON, Turaki Adamawa, in continuation of his nationwide consultation on political developments in the country. The former Vice President addressed the meeting and sought opinion regarding his political future from the floor. Party leaders freely expressed their views and offered the former Vice President constructive advice. They also wished him God's guidance as he continues to consult and prayed that whatever decision he would take will be in the best interest of the country.
6. Party leaders observed that never in the history of Nigeria has the country witnessed so much confusion and uncertainty. Given this, therefore, the country requires a leader who is experienced and de-tribalised and capable of pulling the country through the woods. The former Vice President was identified as having the capacity to help the country overcome these challenges.
7. Party leaders expressed satisfaction with the progress which the Party had made since its registration on August 15, 2013. They appreciated the efforts of the National Leadership of the Party and commended the National Chairman for giving the Party inspirational and exemplary leadership and urged him to continue to pilot the affairs of the Party to success.
Ahmed Rufai Abubakar
National Publicity Secretary