Presidency postpones 2014 budget presentation to NASS …'MTEF issue partly responsible', says Deputy House Leader
The presidency has postponed the presentation of the 2014 budget proposal by President Goodluck Jonathan to the joint session of the National Assembly to November 19.
The presentation had earlier been scheduled for Tuesday but no reason was given for the postponement.
The cancellation was contained in a memo signed by the Director of Personnel, Dr Ishaya Sarki on behalf of the Clerk of the National Assembly, Alhaji Salisu Maikasuwa.
'I am directed to inform you that the presentation of the 2014 annual budget by President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan GCFR, to the joint session of the National Assembly, has been rescheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 19,' the statement read in part.
However, the Deputy House Leader, Mr. Leo Ogor, said yesterday that issues bearing on the Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF),' were partly responsible for the decision.
He said, 'There is no point rushing anything; what is worth doing is worth doing well.
'It has to do with the passage of the MTEF; this has to do with figures and we must get everything right instead of rushing.
'We are still waiting for the report of the committee, when we get it and we pass the MTEF, the President can come.
'This will not take longer than next week or let me say, this week at the most.
'We appeal to Nigerians and everyone to be patient with us.'
The approval of the MTEF and the Fiscal Strategy Paper (FSP) must precede every new budget in compliance with the Fiscal Responsibility Act, 2007.
President Jonathan had long submitted the MTEF and the FSP to the legislature, but they had not been approved. - Punch.