TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Cynthia was choked to death, says Pathologist

By The Citizen

Obafunwa was testifying before a  Lagos High Court in Ikeja at the resumed hearing of the case of four men allegedly connected with the murder of the 25-year-old lady.

Osokogu was allegedly lured to Lagos and murdered by her facebook friends at Cosmilla Hotel, Lakeview Estate, FESTAC Town, Lagos on July 22, 2012.

The Chief Medical Examiner of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, told the court that the autopsy he conducted on the deceased's body showed that she died of asphyxiation (absence of oxygen).

Obafunwa, led in evidence by the Lagos State Attorney-General, Mr. Ade Ipaye, said findings revealed that the deceased was gagged and choked by her killers.

He said, 'From our findings, the deceased was asphyxiated, which means absence of oxygen supply to the body.

'That was the immediate cause of death. It was as a result of the blockage of her upper respiratory airways.

'This blockage was caused by the deceased being gagged and choked.'

Those standing trial in connection with the case are Okwumo Nwabufo, Olisaeloka Ezike, Orji Osita and Ezike Nonso.

Continuing his testimony before Justice Olabisi Akinlade, Obafunwa said there were multiple bruises and abrasions in Osokogu's body.

He added that what appeared to be bite marks were also on the front of her two thighs.

He maintained that the injuries on the body of the deceased could not have been self-inflicted.

The court admitted 15 photographs from the crime scene as exhibits.

The photographs were said to have been taken by one Mr. Lucky Enimelo, a professional photographer.

In admitting the exhibits, the judge dismissed the objections of the defence counsel.

Manager of Cosmilla Hotel, Mr. Victor Ugweke, also mounted the witness box, testifying that he was informed that a body was in Room C1 of the hotel by the receptionist after she opened the room with a master key he had given her.

He testified that he reported the case at the FESTAC Police Station, adding that the police later responded and took the body to the Ikeja General Hospital.

The matter was adjourned till May 24 for continuation of trial.