Assault: Eight Nollywood Actors Freed
Assault: Eight Nollywood Actors Freed Eight Nollywood actors who were standing trial for assault were freed penultimate Thursday. They were discharged and acquitted by an Abeokuta Magistrates' Court in Ogun state, western Nigeria.
The actors were arraigned on 6 September 2011 on charges of assault and conduct likely to cause a breach of public peace. They include, Lateef Dehinde (47), Oluwagbenga Edun (34), Olanrewaju Moses (32), Musibau Raimi (51) and Omishakin Olalekan (36).
Others are Olayinka Adebanjo (41); Alamotu Akeem (51) and Feyisetan Beyioku (41).
The prosecutor, Mr Banji Songotokun, said, “The two groups, Mcoder and Forum, had been at loggerheads over the result of the ANTP election. The court after the case was brought ordered that no group should hold a meeting. Lateef Dehinde and his group called Forum, held a secret meeting at midnight, which was confirmed by the other group's delegate (Mcoder). The delegates, who were sent to confirm, were beaten up by the other group,” he concluded.
Having carefully looked into the matter, the Magistrate, Mrs Olufunmilola Stanley, said that the defence counsel had been able to convince the court that the accused persons were innocent. Stanley accordingly discharged and acquitted them.
Click the link below to go to...