TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Independence Day Blasts: Charles Okah, 4 Others For Prosecution

Source: EWACHE AJEFU, ABUJA BUREAU CHIEF - thewillnigeria.com
PHOTO: DETAINED MEND LEADER, HENRY OKAH OUTSIDE A JOHANNESBURG COURT.
PHOTO: DETAINED MEND LEADER, HENRY OKAH OUTSIDE A JOHANNESBURG COURT.
Listen to article

ABUJA, Oct 19, (THEWILL) - The State Security Service, SSS, today said it is ready to prosecute suspects it has arrested in connection with Nigeria’s Independence Day celebrations. Mrs. Marilyn Ogar, SSS spokesperson while briefing reporters in Abuja today said: “Five suspects will be charged to court because it has been confirmed that they have direct link to the bombings of October 1, 2010.” “Please like I have said, the service will not want the issue pertaining to the bomb blasts to be politicized. When we briefed you the other time, you had asked us to name the suspects and those connected to them and the only person mentioned then was Henry Okah because it was established that he was behind the bombings.

“The SSS is a public service and people can come in here at will and go out at will. The service has never given out any name of any suspect. The only suspect we have mentioned so far are Henry Okah and Charles Tombra Okah,” Ogar added.

The SSS spokesperson stated that the secret police has hard evidence against five of those in custody and that they would soon be charged to court.

Ogar turned down all questions on the identity of those in custody except Mr. Charles Tombra Okah adding that several other persons have been questioned and released since the bomb blasts without giving details.

She said the Service was not willing to divulge such information on the issue since investigations are on stating that the service would not want to say anything that could compromise the national security.

“Several Nigerians have been invited, the service will not be pushed to publish the names of those who have been invited except it has been confirmed that they have direct dealings with the incidents under investigation. The Service will only let you know the issues that will not undermine national security. And for that reason, you will excuse me I will not answer this question. Like I told you, those that have been found to be directly connected to the incident will be charged to court shortly”, she added.

Mrs. Ogar urged journalists in particular and all Nigerians, at large to assist in the on-going investigation, as according to her making Nigeria safe cannot be the responsibility of only security agencies. “I want to know, as a journalist, what contributions you have made towards this investigation. I have been able to speak to some of your people, investigation is not the sole responsibility of security agencies. Security is an all- inclusive preserve of all Nigerians. So you should be able to contribute your own quota,” she said.