Boko Haram says it remains strong, wants to capture Buhari
In a new video by the Boko Haram, suspected members of the sect said they were plotting to capture President Muhammadu Buhari.
The footage, narrated in Hausa, is said to have been shot somewhere in Borno State, northeast Nigeria where the sect has its base. It showed suspected terrorists praying on what the narrator said is an Eid ground on Sallah day Monday.
The video was posted on YouTube Tuesday and the group said it was using it to send out message that it remained a strong force.
The terrorists have lost several territory they once controlled as the Nigerian military continues its onslaught against them.
The group's leader, Abubakar Shekau, did not appear in the video, but the narrator said his deputy, whose name was not mentioned, represented him at the gathering.
In the video, which was recorded in composite to capture two Eid grounds, the group stated its willingness to continue its jihad against the Nigerian state.
The group also called Mr. Buhari an infidel and threatened to capture him.
“This is our eid prayer from us and by the support of our leader Imam Abubakar Al-Shekau. We are extending our greetings to our people and fighters.
“Message to the infidels and the leader of the entire infidels (kafir) who is the President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, that he should know we are very strong and doing very good.
“By the will of Allah under the leadership of our leader (Shekau) will capture Buhari with our hands,” the group said.
The video comes exactly a month after the sect released a similar one which purportedly showed how the Nigerian military coordinated an aerial attack on its hideout that left some of the abducted Chibok girls dead.
The military appeared embarrassed by the video and declared three people wanted for allegedly taking part in its release.
The new video also comes a few days after rumours on social media that the Federal Government had already commenced a prisoner swap with the sect. The rumours said Kabiru Sokoto, a leader of the sect who was convicted for the Christmas Day bombing in 2013 had been released. The rumour later turned out false as the prison authority told PREMIUM TIMES the terrorist was still in prison.
The Boko Haram have indicated willingness for a prisoner swap with the Nigerian government in order to release the kidnapped Chibok girls, a move the federal government has said it is willing to consider.