SECURITY FEARS AS JUSTIN BIEBER HEADS TO NEW ZEALAND
Security has been stepped up ahead of teen singer Justin Bieber's arrival in New Zealand, after several fans were crushed before a concert in Australia.
Police cancelled Monday's performance at Sydney's Circular Quay after at least 10 girls fainted.
Eight were sent to hospital after paramedics pulled them from the crowd. Most had hyperventilated.
It is thought the swarm started when rumours spread that the 16-year-old Canadian heartthrob had arrived early.
Thousands of fans had spent the night camped out by the venue waiting for Bieber.
New South Wales state police Deputy Commissioner Dave Owens told reporters he was concerned about them being out at night unaccompanied.
“There are a large number of kids down there without any parents there at all. And I would just question that,” he said.
Following the incident in Australia, officials at Auckland airport told the New Zealand Herald newspaper that extra security would be arranged for the singer's arrival there.
He left Australia on Tuesday morning, posting on his twitter account: “NEW ZEALAND we are coming!!!”
Bieber had already written several messages to fans, including “I'm very happy about the welcome and the love from around the world, but I want everyone to still remember my fans safety comes first…”
The singer is promoting album My World 2.0, which has already been number one in the US Billboard chart. His single Baby featuring Ludacris got to number three in the UK in March.
It is not the first time “Bieber fever” has forced the singer having to cancel a gig.
In March, an appearance at a US shopping mall was pulled due to overcrowding.
The teen singer was signed by Usher's record label Island Def Jam Music Group at the age of 14, after his mother posted videos of him singing at talent shows on YouTube.