Nigeria: Parcel bomb scare rocks Lagos media house

By myjoyonline
Listen to article

But for providence yesterday, some staff of Superscreen Television, in Lagos, were almost given the dastardly “Dele Giwa Treatment”. Unknown persons sent bombs carefully wrapped inside gift items to an undisclosed top management staff of the television station but one of the bombs exploded before the 'messenger of death” got to the office.

The unidentified young man bearing the destructive message, however, fell victim of the evil act. The bomb exploded as he was trying to locate the exact office of the private television outfit, in the process cutting off his two hands. Superscreen Television is located on the ninth floor of Brown's House located on No 151 Ikorodu Road, Onipanu Bus Stop, Lagos.

The station is believed to be owned by the President of Believers Loveworld aka Christ Embassy, Pastor Chris Oyakhilome. Former Newswatch Editor-in-Chief, Giwa, was killed via a parcel bomb delivered to his Ikeja, Lagos residence on October 19, 1986. Twenty-three years after, Giwa's death remains a misery as those behind the dastardly act have not been brought to book.

THISDAY learnt yesterday's incident, which occurred at about 11.30 am, shook the entire 10-storey building into pandemonium as everybody around had to scamper for safety. It was gathered that the unidentified young man bearing the destructive gift item was having a conversation on his mobile telephone probably with those who sent him as he was approaching the second floor of the building through the staircase when one of the bombs was said to have exploded on his face.

The man was thrown off balance by the impact of the explosion. Eyewitnesses said he was also carrying a polythene bag containing three unexploded bombs, which also fell off his hands. Policemen attached to Ilupeju Police Station, Onipanu and their counterparts from the Rapid Response Squad raced to the venue of the blast following a distressed call from the area. THISDAY learnt that policemen have, however whisked away the unidentified man for questioning over the development.

But he was said to have been taken first to a hospital in the neighborhood for treatment. Meanwhile, the Public Relations Officer of the Lagos State Police Command, Mr. Frank Mba, has declared the building safe after staff of the Bomb Disposal Unit of the Nigerian Police had visited the building and detonated the remaining three unexploded bombs. He told journalists that the situation had been put under control by officers and men of the Nigeria Police.