Boko Haram: Military to recapture Sambisa Forest before handover – Dasuki
The National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki, yesterday disclosed that the Nigerian military in its gains against the terrorist Boko Haram would definitely take back the notorious Sambisa Forest before May 29 hand-over date of the present administration. He gave the assurance at the one-year anniversary of the abduction of over 200 girls from Chibok Girls Secondary School in Borno State yesterday. The girls, apart from few that escaped had not been found and the rumour until recently was that they were kept in the Sambisa Forest, said to be the stronghold of the terror group. He gave the assurance that the Federal Government was still making every effort to ensure that the girls along with every other Nigerian abducted by terrorists were rescued.
Dasuki disclosed this to the Nigerian security system media platform, saying: 'One of the Boko Haram remaining camps will be stormed and liberated before the May 29 presidential hand-over date. 'Right now, all Boko Haram camps, except Sambisa Forest have been destroyed,' he clarified. He said but for the unfavourable weather condition prevailing in the area as all needed reconnaissance activity and necessary deployment of troops had been made for the operation, the forest would had been captured long before now.
'Every movement of the terrorists is being monitored and every necessary detail is being taken care of to rid the country of the last bastion of terrorists' infestation,' Dasuki boasted. He explained that government was concerned about the welfare of every Nigerian, including the girls and 'aside the Chibok girls, other Nigerian girls, boys, men and women, who were abducted by the terrorists, all efforts are being made to rescue them all.'
While appealing for a little more time to complete the routing of terrorists, Dasuki recalled that before elections were postponed in February, over 20 local governments were occupied by Boko Haram and that most Nigerians were pleasantly surprised that so much was achieved against insurgency within six weeks.
Dasuki commended President Goodluck Jonathan on the successful conduct of the 2015 elections, and noted that nobody pressured the president into conceding defeat in the presidential election. 'Mr. President had already given his words to all the security and service chiefs before the election that he would abide by the decision of Nigerians.
At the meeting, he also told them to perform their duties professionally during the polls. 'While we anticipated that he would congratulate his opponent if the result was announced in favour of opposition candidate, he gratuitously without prompting of anyone conceded defeat to the surprise of all. 'By that gesture he had saved the security agencies and the nation of unnecessary tension and stress in maintaining law and order and curtailing the excesses of likely protesters.' - The Sun.