TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Another Day Old Baby Dumped By Road Side (Photo)

Source: Maryjane Ezeh/
Listen to article

Few weeks ago, reported astory of how a week old baby was dumped in a pit, but was luckily found alive by some good Samaritan nurses.

Regrettably, another woman has dumped a new-born baby by the roadside in the Abule Egba area of Lagos.

The woman, who was said to be dark in complexion, was reportedly seen pregnant and roaming the area, which is near a filling station.

It was gathered that the baby was wrapped in a black sack, neatly clothed and covered with a plaster on the mouth.

An eyewitness simply identified as Mrs. Atanda Kuforiji said they were taken aback by the sight of the abandoned baby.

She added that a resident of the area drew the attention of other residents to the presence of the baby dumped by the roadside.

Ms Kuforiji explained further that everybody went to the scene to see why the residents were shouting, only to be confronted with the sight of the new baby.

"The baby was wrapped in a sack and placed by the roadside. I saw a crowd gathered at the spot and I decided to have a look; the child was still alive. People took pictures of the baby. His mouth was covered with a plaster to prevent him from crying out. Everybody was saying what came into their heads, but nobody offered to help the baby,” the eyewitness narrated.

Out of fear of the unknown, many dwellers of the area couldn't pick up the innocent baby from where he was dumped.

However, they said they suspected that the baby belonged to a mentally unstable woman.

A driver, Mr. Lasisi Gafar, said since the incident, nobody had seen the woman in the area.

“There used to be a female lunatic around the street who was pregnant, but since the child had been dumped I have not seen any trace of her. We suspect that she was the one that dumped the baby here, but nobody could find her to question her,” he said.

Meanwhile, the baby later died after struggling to live for over six hours.

“The child was alive as at 11am, but when government officials came around 5pm, he was dead. They took the dead body away."