Delta: Protest in Udu Over Kidnap of President General Sokoh


BEVERLY HILLS, January 23, (THEWILL) – Hundreds of youths on Friday blocked the major roads in Udu Local Government Area of Delta State over the reported kidnap of the President General of Udu Kingdom, Chief Steve Sokoh.

Sokoh was reportedly abducted by gun- wielding men about 8pm on Thursday at the New-York Junction along Udu road, Ovwian, Delta State.

Irked by the development, hundreds of youths of Udu origin Friday morning barricaded the ever-busy Udu Express junction and Orhuworhun junction protesting the kidnap of the community leader.

The protest which caused heavy gridlock along the busy road forced motorists to make a detour to other less-busy roads as the protest grounded business activities within the area for the period it lasted.

Some of the placards carried by the protesters read; “No Sokoh, No Election”, “Govt. S.O.S, We love Chief Sokoh our P.G”, “Release Chief Sokoh now”, “Kidnappers stay clear from Udu”, “this madness must stop”.

Comrade Sunday Subi and Dr. Dennis Kpoma, who led the protest confirmed that the President General was kidnapped and taken to unknown destination.

“What is happening now in Udu is that the President General of Udu Kingdom, Chief Steve Sokoh, has been kidnapped and the entire youths and indigenes of Udu hereby demand for his immediate release because all the Udu youths have vowed that there will be no election whatsoever in Udu local government unless Chief Steve Sokoh is release,” they said.

While demanding the immediate release of the President General, the protesting youths appealed to the Delta State and Federal Government to immediately come to their aid in resolving the issue of kidnapping in the state.

Addressing the protesters on behalf of the President Generals of the 32 communities that made up Udu kingdom, Mr. Paul Odiete said the protest would continue until the community leader is released unconditionally.

The Divisional Police Officer in charge of Ovwain Police Station was not immediately available to address the protesting youths who insisted they wouldn't vacate the major roads until the police assured them of the release of the community leader.

But a police officer, Clement Ekperiebe, who was sent to address the protesters pleaded for calm, saying the police were on top of the situation.

He assured the protesters that the police team, including the anti-robbery squad, have been put on red alert to track the kidnappers and ensure the safe release of their President General.