TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Again, Boko Haram Kills 20 In Borno Village

Source: thewillnigeria.com
Listen to article

SAN FRANCISCO, May 25, (THEWILL) â€' Despite global condemnation of its activities in the North-eastern part of Nigeria, the terrorist group, Boko Haram, appears unperturbed as it struck again Sunday afternoon, killing no fewer than 20 persons‎ in yet another attack on a village in Borno State.

The attack on Kamuyya village in Biu Local Government Area of the troubled state, Sunday, was the climax of a series of attacks on isolated villages in the state in the last one week in which over 100 persons were killed and property worth millions of Naira were either burnt or carted away by the rampaging insurgents.

Local sources told THEWILL the terrorists stormed Kamuyya village in their large numbers wielding assault rifles and throwing explosives as they operated unhindered for over two hours, killing no fewer than 20 persons before retreating back into the forest.

Impeccable sources in the village said the gunmen had, over a month ago, demanded of the village head to ask his people to contribute the sum of N250,000 in support of 'God's work' and the villagers were only able to raise N70,000 from their rural farming and petty trading for the terror group.

The gunmen were said to have taken the money and left with a threat to come back for the balance, failing which the villagers would be dealt with appropriately.

A resident of the village, Bukar Umar, disclosed that the villagers simply took the threat as 'madness gone too far.'

According to Umar: 'Actually when they issued such threat, we all took it lightly as we are all relaxed and nobody bothered to make any extra effort to put in the amount they requested. May be that was what ignited this bloody attack because we were unable to meet their demand.'

He said the villagers were thus caught unawares , Sunday, when over 20 gunmen stormed the Kamuyya weekly market when trading activities were in full swing, opening fire on the traders and setting most of the shops in the market as well as vehicles ablaze.

'It was a pity that there was no single security personnel to confront the invaders who had a field day wreaking havoc on us. The invaders snatched several vehicles and loaded them with bags of assorted foodstuff, before fleeing the area.

'They destroyed everything we have, carted away our foodstuff and burnt down the remaining ones. The most painful thing is that they did not spare even the fleeing residents as they trailed and killed anybody who attempted to escape,' Umar lamented.

In another eyewitness account, a resident of the village, who craved anonymity told THEWILL that the gunmen set ablaze over 100 houses after killing 20 persons and maiming several others.

'Immediately after the last week attack in Kimba village, also in our local government, where scores of people were murdered, we urged the security agents to deploy their personnel but our appeal fell on deaf ears,' he said as he lamented the inability of security operatives to come to their assistance during the attack.

He however confirmed that the gunmen after destroying the village stormed the Sunday market to continue their looting and destruction.

'After the carnage in market, the militants moved into the main town as they set ablaze several houses and vehicles. Several residents who escaped the onslaught are now taking refuge in the bush for fear of the unknown. We hope government will come to our rescue because we have lost everything,' he explained.