TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Boko Haram Gunmen Attack Convoy Of Borno Council Boss

Source: thewillnigeria.com
Listen to article

SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, (THEWILL) - Rampaging Boko Haram gunmen struck again Monday in Borno State as they attacked the convoy of the Gwoza council chairman, Hamman Jumba Ahmaduda, destroying two vehicles as three policemen and two drivers were declared missing in the attack.

The attack occurred at a blown-up bridge on Bama-Gwoza road at about 4.

35pm on Monday where the gunmen had laid siege before waylaying the council boss's convoy.

A driver attached to Borno State Government House, Maiduguri, Mallam Baba, while recounting the experience on Tuesday, said two vehicles were destroyed in the attack as three policemen and two civilian drivers were declared missing in the convoy.

"On reaching the bridge, after returning from Gwoza township and Barawa village on an official visit, we were surrounded by several gunmen at the destroyed Firgi Bridge who shot sporadic from all directions that led to three drivers to reverse and escape, while two other vehicles, including my Hilux vehicle were abandoned.

I had to crawl for about 300 metres to escape from the insurgents," he said.

"It is only God that saved us yesterday evening (Monday), including the council chairman, who was in the fifth vehicle in the convoy as we were ambushed at the bridge.

Three policemen are missing and two other drivers in the convoy.

Five people in the attacked convoy are yet to be found, 20 hours after we were attacked.

" Baba noted that the gunmen might have come from the Sambisa Forest to attack the council chairman's convoy, after the bridge was blown-up with explosives.

According to Baba, "the destruction of the bridge by the gunmen was to cut off the 256-kilometre Maiduguri-Bama-Gwoza-Mubi road in order to ambush and kill innocent people on that road which links several towns and villages.

But because of the dry season, the river could be crossed at the bridge side; and in the process of crossing; the gunmen sprayed bullets on us.

" A Government House source also confirmed the attack, saying "a search team with the assistance of military had been dispatched to the area to look for the five missing persons who may have been abducted by the gunmen.

"