Bus explodes in Yenagoa
Traffic on the Isaac Boro Expressway was Wednesday reduced to a crawl for over 50 minutes after a bus conveying soft drinks suddenly caught fire.
Though the fire triggered panic on the busy route but no one was injured.
The blaze showed billowing clouds of black smoke from the bus and caused traffic jam for miles as the driver and his conductor and other sympathizers watch helplessly.
The ill-fated bus, a Mitsubishi 300 was filled with crates of soft drinks and other beverages was approaching the popular roundabout close to the Five star Tower Hotel project linking the Sani Abacha expressway, Azikoro town and the Ox Bow Lake area of the capital when it exploded into flame.
This reporter who arrived the scene about 15minutes after the fire starter noticed car owners making frantic efforts to get away from the blazing bus.
The driver, who simply gave his name as Uche and his conductor escaped unhurt.
He said he heard a couple of pops before the entire bus went up in flame.
Uche who was in shock told Vanguard that he was at a loss as to the cause of the inferno said but for his closeness to roundabout which necessitated his slowing down the bus could have burst into flame while he was on speed.
As at the time this reporter left the scene to file in his report the bus was still burning and men of the state fire service were yet to arrive the scene.