Boko Haram Threatens Cameroon In New Video
(AFP) – Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau has threatened Cameroon in a
video message on YouTube, warning that the same fate would befall the
country as neighbouring Nigeria.
The video, which was posted on January 5, is directly addressed to
Cameroon's President Paul Biya after repeated fighting between militants
and troops in the country's far north.
“Oh Paul Biya, if you don't stop this, your evil plot, you will taste what
has befallen Nigeria… Your troops cannot do anything to us,” Shekau said
It is first time Shekau has directly addressed Cameroon and is also the
first admission that Boko Haram has been actively operating in the
Boko Haram fighters had in the past launched attacks on northeastern
Nigeria from bases in Cameroon but recent months have seen an increase in
strikes within the country.
Boko Haram, which began its violent insurgency in 2009, has taken over
swathes of territory in three northeastern Nigerian states, and declared
some towns as part of its Islamic caliphate.
Cameroon's far north has come increasingly into the group's firing line
and on December 28, Yaounde deployed fighter jets against Boko Haram for
the first time.
Biya personally ordered the air strike after the insurgents crossed the
border and seized a military camp, the government said on December 29.
The aerial bombardment, hailed as a new phase in the counter-insurgency,
forced the Islamists to flee, it added.
Cameroon's president has made a series of strong statements against Boko
Haram and in October last year vowed to go after the group “until it's
totally wiped out”.
In May last year, he said that a Paris meeting of Nigeria's neighbours was
designed to “declare war on Boko Haram”.
But a key agreement at the summit to set up a regional force has yet to be
implemented, with Cameroon increasingly vocal in its criticisms about the
lack of a coordinated response to Boko Haram.
The post Boko Haram Threatens Cameroon In New Video appeared first on Pointblank News .