TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Borno Govt: 44 Abducted School Girls Rescued So Far, 85 Still Missing

Source: thewillnigeria.com
Listen to article

SAN FRANCISCO, April 18, (THEWILL) â€' The Borno State Government said on Friday that 44 of the abducted school girls from the Government Secondary School, Chibok, have regained their freedom so far, with 14 more students fleeing the camp of their abductors, while 85 of the students are still missing.

The State Commissioner for Education, Comrade Musa Inuwa Kubo, disclosed this in a statement issued in Maiduguri, saying three of the newly-freed 14 students are with him while the rest are still held up along the Damboa/Biu highway.

'I am glad to say that 14 more students have escaped from their abductors. Out of this number, three are currently with me at Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, the scene of the unfortunate abduction while my Governor,Kashim Shettima, has confirmed to me today that 11 girls have escaped to a town along Damboa/Biu road in Borno State after they escaped from captivity.

'The 11 ladies were immediately moved from the location to other parts of the State to reconnect with their families. The remaining 33 students in Chibok have also been moved out of the school to different parts of the State to join their families,' he said.

The commissioner explained that 'the steps were taken to safeguard them, ' adding 'With this development, we have 44 out of our 129 students at the hostel on the day of attack on the school. This means that we have 85 students yet to join us.'

Explaining further, Kubor said: 'You may wish to recall that as at Thursday, we had 30 students returned. Out of that number, 14 escaped from their abductors while 16 students were returned by their parents and guardians after they ran home on the day of the attack.

The 16 were not abducted. You may also remember what I said yesterday (Thursday) that we had made announcements and called on parents whose children and wards ran home to return them to the school so we could take proper account of our 129 students to know the number of those missing.

'We are hopefully expecting the return of our 85 students as intensive search and rescue efforts continue. I must acknowledge the combined efforts of the security agencies and civilian volunteers for the intensive search which may have piled up pressure on abductors and possibly contributing to the escape of 28 students from captivity.

'We continually pray that all our students return in good health as well as all the security agents and volunteers safely return. We are indeed grateful for the patriotic efforts being displayed by all those involved in the search and rescue operations. We are also very grateful to all Nigerians, institutions and Governments within and outside our country for their unflinching support that has remained indelible to us in the education sector of Borno State.

'We once again call on parents and all sympathisers to remain prayerful and hopeful that by the grace of God all the students will safely return to school. Once again, on behalf of the Borno State Government, my ministry, staff and students of the affected school, parents and relations of affected students, I very well appreciate the Nigerian and international media organisations for their most helpful support. I will keep updating any time there is something new which I hope will be positive and anytime soon.'