Fire Destroys 3 Buildings In Lagos
Three houses were on Saturday destroyed by fire at Opeloyero Street, Ikotun-Egbe, Lagos State.
The fire which started at about 2.30 p.m did not result in any death, as firefighters, policemen and youths in the area prevented the fire from spreading to other buildings.
Eyewitnesses said that youths in the area had earlier climbed the buildings' roofs to remove the roofing, while using water from a nearby gutter to douse the fire.
A 60-year-old resident of one of the houses, Mr Ola Ijaola, said that the fire started in one of the rooms of the boys' quarters of the house at No 27 Opeloyero Street.
Ijaola alleged that a female tenant of one of the rooms reportedly stored petrol in her room.
"The eight-year-old child of the woman, apparently not knowing that there was fuel in the room, was trying to light the stove when the room went up in flames.
The child immediately ran out and raised alarm. In some minutes, the entire building was on fire, gradually spreading to other houses," Ijaola said.
Another witness, who corroborated the old man's statement, said that the area had been without
electricity for weeks.
He said that the power outage had compelled the residents to store petrol for the generators which
they used in their homes and for their businesses.
Mr Innocent Chuba, a Superintendent of Police who led policemen from the Ikotun Police Station to the
scene, confirmed that no life was lost in the fire.
Agency Report NAN| Article source