28th Session of FAO Regional Conference for Africa in Tunis from 24 to 28 March 2014
ROME, Italy, March 18, 2014/African Press Organization (APO)/ -- Theme: African youth in agriculture and rural development
WHAT: 28th Session of FAO Regional Conference for Africa
WHERE: Hotel "Le Palace" Gammarth, Tunis - Tunisia
WHEN: March 24 to 28, 2014
FAO in collaboration with the Government of Tunisia will convene the 28th Session of the Regional Conference for Africa in Tunis from 24 to 28 March 2014. The Conference will bring together ministers of agriculture and senior government officials from FAO Member countries in the Region as well as members of the Civil Society and partners.
Delegates will discuss issues relating to the current state and perspectives of food and agriculture in Africa. These will include:
• The African youth in the food sector and rural development
• The State of food and agriculture in the region and implementation of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) with a special focus on small farmers and family farming.
• The follow-up to the High-level Meeting of African and international leaders "Towards African Renaissance: Renewed Partnership for Unified Approach to End Hunger in Africa by 2025 under the CAADP Framework”.
1. Youth and development of Aquaculture and livestock in Africa - The main objective of the side event is to discuss with key stakeholders attending the ARC opportunities and challenges in engaging the youth in aquaculture and livestock sub-sectors. The discussions will focus on practical approaches and measures to engage young people and will include recommendations to the conference.
2. Ministerial Roundtable - The ministerial roundtable will follow up on the High Level Meeting of African and International Leaders on “Toward African Renaissance: Renewed Partnership for Unified Approach to End Hunger in Africa by 2025 within the CAADP Framework”. This ministerial roundtable will provide an opportunity to share knowledge on the action taken to end Hunger in Africa. Particular guidance will be solicited on how to strengthen the mobilisation of additional resources for the African Solidarity Trust Fund and catalytic investment in the region.
The Conference is open to the media. Selected sessions will be webcast on the web site of the 28th ARC Conference.
A press conference will be held Friday, March 28 2014. Further information will be provided later.
Accreditation of journalists can be processed through ARC-Secretariat@fao.org with copy to email@example.com. A ‘Press Desk ' will be open at the Conference venue during the whole week. A valid press card is required. Journalists should collect their accreditation/conference badges in person.
Conference web site: http://www.fao.org/about/meetings/arc28/en/
FAO Regional Office for Africa: www.fao.org/Africa